Wed 25th Aug 2021, Josephinum
Today we’re keeping a votive Mass of St Joseph.
- Formators want us to focus our house Josephinum devotion
- Wednesdays and the 19th of the months are days traditionally given to St Joseph
- I have special prayer I always say on those days
What to say about St Joseph?
- It might be thought that we don’t know much about St Joseph,
- what we do know gives us much to reflect in and much to learn from
How start? Votive Mass of St Joseph the WORKER
- Start of lectures and schoolwork today, thus the WORKER
- What to say?
- What to LEARN?
- Not only an example, also a powerful patron and protector
- But, today, focus on example
(1) He slept
- What do the Gospels record St Joseph doing?
- More than ANYTHING, they record him sleeping
- 4 times the Gospels record an angel speaking to him while dreaming, while SLEEPING
- So, he slept
- WHY did he sleep so much?
- He worked HARD
- You can’t work unless you sleep
- Do you want to work well?
- Then sleep well -go to joseph
- Do you struggle to sleep? Go to Joseph
- You can’t be a good priest or seminarian UNLESS you have a regular pattern of sleep
- How many hours do you take? Enough?
- Do you go to bed on time?
- Do you get the physical exercise you need to sleep well?
- St Joseph slept
- St Jospeh is often called a 'silent' man
- There is not a single recorded word spoken by St Joseph
- He went to Bethlehem
- He went to Egypt
- He returned
- and went to Nazareth
- he went to the temple in Jerusalem
- -not a single recorded word
- A DOER not a chatterer
- A MAN
- Scientifically, we know women speak many more words in a day than men
- Women talk and communicate
- Men DO
- St Joseph: a man’s man
- Be a DOER
- Get stuff DONE
- Don’t chat about what you plan to do, DO IT
- Nike: Just do it
(3) Union with God
- WHAT did St Joseph do?
- The things God told him (via the angel),
- in fact, ONLY things God told him
- “He did all that the angel told him to…” (Mt 1:24)
- Our Lady at Cana, “do whatever He tells you”.
- St Joseph, probably deceased already, but he’d been living this in everything we see recorded of him
- What should WE do?
- What God wants,
- looking to what He wants, etc
- Lord, what do you want ME to do now?
- Lord, would like me to procrastinate a little longer right now?
- Lord, would you like me to do this easy thing rather than this important thing?
- Tidy my sock drawer rather than write that paper?
- Be like St Joseph:
- Always seek to God’s Will
- Be a DOER
- But a DOER of what GOD wants of us,
(4) Many other things -other sermons to be given...
- We’re in his seminary, the 'Josephinum'
- We’re starting our school work of classes
- Let’s look to him as a model of work:
- as he slept,
- 4 times recoded in the Gospels
- -without needing to talk
- get it done, don’t get it talked about
- Do it in union with God
- look to God to do the right work,
- as he “did the angel told him to do”